The Whitewood Public Library
Seventy years ago, in 1951, five residents thought Whitewood needed a library and set about to make it happen. They gathered donated books to fill the living room of the Wendt house on Meade Street and volunteer as librarians.
By 1973, the city council recognized their efforts and purchased a trailer, parked it on Meade Street to set up the first library ‘building.’ The ladies cleaned up the trailer, moved the books and again volunteered their time.
There would be two more moves, one to Grimsbo Hall (now the Senior Center) in 1964 and next to the vacated Fire Station (now City Hall) in 1977.
During this time, more volunteers stepped forward to serve on the Whitewood Public Library Governing Board. This Board saved $70.000 over 25 years so a new building could be built in Memorial Park. In 1996, the Governing Board and volunteers moved books and furniture into the building the library occupies today. The vision of all the people that gave of their time and energy to make sure Whitewood had a library deserves celebrating. Look forward this year as we celebrate each month with a look back.